Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award
2001 Award Recipient – Small Business Category
Pal’s Sudden Service
||Thomas A. Crosby
Pal’s Sudden Service is a privately owned quick-service restaurant company with 29 locations in northeastern Tennessee and Southwestern Virginia. Pal’s has about 1,200 employees and all but 3 employees work within the stores. Pal’s competes directly with national fast food chains. It offers a menu of hamburgers, hot dogs, frenchie fries, chipped ham, chicken, milk shakes, and beverages as well as breakfast biscuits with country ham, sausage, and gravy.
Quality and Performance Achievements:
- 95 percent customer satisfaction score.
- Service times 4 times faster than its competitors.
- 1 complaint in every 3,500 orders.
- A benchmark in service hospitality.
- Half the industry turnover.
- Many consecutive years of same store sales growth.
- The first of only 2 restaurant companies to ever win the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award. (Note: The second Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award winner was a 9-year client of Pal’s Business Excellence Institute.)
- Case studies have been done on Pal’s Sudden Service world class practices by Harvard Business school and other universities.